Changing Your Address: Who do you need to notify when you move?


Moving to a new home? If you’re done with decluttering, cleaning, acquiring moving supplies and packing your things – the process doesn’t stop there. You also need to make sure that you’re notifying the right people and places about the move. This is one of the things that you wouldn’t want to put off for later. Setting this process aside entails potential hassles like missed bills or service lapses. Not sure where to start? We’ll fill you in on who you need to give a heads up to about your new home.


Post Office

This is a good starting point. Notifying the post office of your change of address will get your mail sent to your old address forwarded to your new one for 12 months. You can easily update your address online and set a specific start date. It’s advisable to do this at least a week before moving day.


Tax Agencies

Notify both the federal revenue agency and your state tax agency of your change of address. There’s an online form where you can notify the IRS of your new address. As for your state tax agency, just go to your state’s government website and look for instructions on how to inform your agency about the change of address.


Social Security Administration

If you receive any social security benefits, make sure that you let the SSA know where you’re moving to. You can easily fill out their change of address application or call (00) 772-12138.


Gas and Electric

You’ll want to make sure that you would risk the chance of having no heat or electricity, so this is a step that you need to take care of as soon as you know your new address. For your electric service, arrange for the electricity at your current address to be shut off at the end of moving day and for service at your new location to start the evening before you move into your new home.


Phone, Cable, and Internet

This step is especially important for those who can’t go a day without an internet connection. Call your phone, cable, and internet providers to let them know of your change of address as early as you can.


Home or Renters’ Insurance

Make sure that your home or renters’ insurance agency know where they need to transfer your policy too. With renters’ insurance, some landlords or management companies might ask for proof of transfer before your move-in date, so see to it that this is this taken care of early.


Your employer

Notify your employer about your change of address even if your paychecks are directly deposited into your bank account. This way, you’ll be sure that pay stubs, tax forms, etc will go to the right address.


Your bank and credit card company

Check if your bank and credit card company have a way for you to change your address online. This also applies to any loyalty programs that you may have with specific stores.


Loan providers

Let loan providers know about your change of address. You wouldn’t want to seem like you’re dodging payments, right?


Insurance providers

Insurance agencies need to be notified about your new address too. This includes your health insurance, dental insurance, car insurance, and life insurance.


Magazines and subscription services

If you have ongoing magazine subscriptions or other subscription boxes or subscription services, you can change your address either online or by calling their customer service department.


Online shopping sites

See to it that you set a few minutes aside to change your billing and shipping address on any online stores that you frequently order from, like Amazon, eBay, and Nordstrom. Save yourself of any future stress since it’s easy to place orders without checking the shipping details


Friends and family

This is definitely an important one. Notify friends and family about your new address by sending out a mass email with your new information and BCC everyone on it.

Changing your address will not take too much of your time now that you know who to notify. Save yourself from any future hassle by starting as early as you can. Happy moving!

Need extra funds to help you with moving to a new home? Get a car title loan with Sabre Lending, LLC. – Call 1(844)651-5144 TODAY! Happy moving!